Subject: Re: /etc/rc out of order
To: Not for internal consumption <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/1999 12:18:39
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Not for internal consumption wrote:

> I just copied and remangled the latest/greatest /etc/rc and discovered that
> it's trying to run pppd prior to /usr being mounted!

Uh, perhaps because you can't mount usr if it's on the other side
of a modem link? :-)

Seriously, this is another expression of an ordering problem: in
some situations you want /usr mounted  after networking has started,
because it's an NFS mount or something like that. In other, generally
more rare situations, you want it mounted before because you need
stuff from it before you start networking.

Fortunately, I've just been struck by a brilliant idea. :-) Why
don't we mount all FFS and LFS critical file systems before we run
netstart, and all NFS critical filesystems after? (Alternatively,
we could mount all non-NFS, non-CODA ones.) If this seems a reasonable
solution to folks, I'll implement it in -current.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org