Subject: Re: Man page question
To: perry@piermont.com, Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1999 10:36:08
"Perry E. Metzger" sez:
/*
 * The date is supposed to be the date of the last significant revision
 * of the man page.
 *
 * The OS version field is really silly. I don't know *why* we keep
 * it. Some time I'm going to dig the right people up, talk about it with
 * them, and possibly apply nuclear weapons...

The OS Version field is actually very nice if you decide you want to
PRINT the manuals (something I would be doing if I had a printer!).
It's nice to look at the bottom and see an OS version there so I know
I haven't grabbed my Solaris manual set in a blind, sleep-induced
stupor.

However, it should be determined more or less automagically (I'd like to
user-define it myself at roff time), and should not be hard-coded into
the man page proper (it should probably live in /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc
file, or some similarly central point).

The "last revision" date should probably be prefixed with "Last Update:"
to keep it clear.

 *
 * Perry
 */