Subject: Bad drive. Bad!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1998 12:11:08
I have a Micropolis 1991 (9.1G) drive on my Mac.  It has developed a
half-dozen bad sectors that the macside utils cannot remap.  So I
fired up NetBSD to try a scsictl reassign on it, and this is what it
shows:

(Console:)
sd2(esp0:4:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x08 00 00 00 01 00
    SENSE KEY:  Media Error
     ASC/ASCQ:  Medium Format Corrupted

sd2: I/O error reading block zero

(Terminal:)
# scsictl /dev/rsd2c reassign 41327
/dev/rsd2c: SCSI command timed out
/dev/rsd2c: device is busy
/dev/rsd2c: Check Condition on CDB: 07 66 ff ff cb c4
    SENSE KEY: Illegal Request
     ASC/ASCQ:  Illegal Field in CDB
         SKSV:  Error in CDB, Offset 1, bit 1

 Additional Sense Information (byte 18 out...):

        18: 0xdb 0x6d 0xb6 0xdb 0x6d 0xb6
        24: 0xdb 0x6d 0xb6 0xdb 0x6d 0xb6 0xdb 0x6d

My question is, are there any tools that can run under NetBSD that
will allow me to do reformatting and testing of this drive?

Thanks,
~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

	"For I perceive that behind this seemingly unrelated sequence
of events, there lurks a singular, sinister attitude of mind."

	"Whose?"

	"MINE! HA-HA!"