Subject: Kill problem
To: NetBSD current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/1998 00:01:03
Hello...

Some time ago I installed the mgetty+sendfax package. I use vgetty with my
ZyXEL Elite 2864 ID. Normal operation doesn't yield any problems, but now
and then I find the process somehow stopped but stayed in the system. To
be more precise: vgetty isn't using any more processor cycles and the LEDs
on the modem show all necessary lines (DTR, CSR, RTS, CTS) operational.
But vgetty isn't really running anymore. It doesn't see it when I turn my
modem off and on again (though it normally does!). So I decided to kill
vgetty. I used kill -4 first, but got no response. So I tried kill -9,
which I understand should terminate a process at once. But vgetty stilled
stayed around and nothing changed.

The system seems to be ok except I can't use that serial port anymore. The
only cure is a reboot of the system, which results in a new start of
vgetty. Now vgetty works fine again for some indefinite time.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong or where there might be a problem
in NetBSD? If I encounter the problem the next time I will try to collect
a bit more information.

I am running NetBSD-current (rebuild at least once a week if possible) on
the i386 platform. It is a P-II system. Any further data needed?

Bye, Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke   | E-Mail: hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de
PGP-Key available | Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)