Subject: Re: FlashPath support?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1998 14:20:41
On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 03:31:21PM +1100, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> Has anyone tried using a FlashPath floppy adapter to read "SmartMedia"
> cards on NetBSD?
>
> I'm looking to get a digital camera and the above looks to be a good
> option if it works.

Don't do that.  SmartMedia media are way more expensive than CompactFlash
media and the floppy adapter is unlikely to work well, if at all.

Just get a camera that uses CompactFlash media, buy name-brand CompactFlash
media (some off-brands are totally broken) and use a PCMCIA or, better, an
IDE card caddy (we use the Adtron (note only one 'd') brand IDE caddy, which
plugs directly into the IDE port on your motherboard) to read them.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"