Subject: Re: `char -> unsigned char'
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1998 23:24:26
On Dec 19,  6:02pm, Christos Zoulas wrote:

} On NetBSD, not other systems. I am trying to get the code to be more portable
} when it is compiled in other OS's. The choice is to either override the native
} OS's ctype.h and use our own, or cast. Casting is more portable, but more
} disruptive. If the consensus is that we should not be casting, then I'll
} back out the changes and fix the header file.

Instead of casting, it may be cleaner to declare the relevant variables
unsigned.  <stdio.h> also uses unsigned chars.  Alas, <string.h> uses
signed chars.  So much for consistency.