Subject: Re: question of style: _ vs. - in filenames
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1998 19:11:37
Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com> writes:

> > Most people use - for versions of things in directories like foo-1.2.3
> > I try personally to avoid - for filenames, because it might break parsing,
> > because it is not an acceptable identifier name in all language.
> > ls /usr/src/*/*/* reveals that we use both in the tree.
>
> Wow.   I prefer to use - rather than _ because _ is so aesthetically
> displeasing.   Which suggests that we should probably not try to
> establish a standard, for fear of bloodshed.   :')

Well, I note that '_' was the de facto standard for C source filenames
(at least under /usr/src/sys) right up until the final CSRG release of
BSD 4.4.

The only thing I find aesthetically displeasing is the indiscriminate
mixing of both styles.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.