Subject: Re: How to meet the true intent of the GPL in an open-source operating system (was: sendmail licensing again)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@per4mance.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1998 16:15:50
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> (That said I doubt it's currently possible for any *BSD to meet the true
> intent of the GPL for code in the kernel, except perhaps for BSDI, with
> some potential for OpenBSD and FreeBSD.)

Huh - what's your definition of "the true intent of the GPL code
in the kernel" ?

If we don't want to taint the kernel source with GPL, we have to
avoid GPLed code in kernel like plaque ...

> BTW, the most "interesting" packages to upgrade have always been ones
> that perturb both the kernel and user-land, such as IP-Filter.  I'm not
> completely happy with the way it's integrated in to NetBSD, but imagine
> the implications for binary vendors who wanted to use it if it were
> under a copyright similar to Sendmail-9 or the GPL!

The implications would be equal to "unusable".

While being here - how does GPL deal with LKMs ? I recall R.Stallman
mentioning one of big Linus's mistake was "permission to load commercial,
non-GNU code into running Linug/GNU kernel".

Jarda
--
Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>	http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?