Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: None <woods@most.weird.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1998 15:21:00
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: What could be difficult about this even if the source is totally
: integrated?????
:
: Someone simply uses a script to maintain a list of GPL-ed files:
:
: 	cd /usr/src
: 	find . -print | xargs grep -ni 'free software foundation' |
: 		awk -F: '{print $1}' | sort -u > share/misc/gnu-src.list

Not all GPL'd software has this phrase, but that's rather moot.  What this
won't catch is the `modifications' - which includes our build mechanisms for
this source.

Again, though, what do you *gain* by doing this convoluted command instead
of putting the stuff together, since a vendor needs to grab that *bundle*
anyway?

It's pretty easy to see that this command is more difficult than a plain
"tar" of a directory, and has to be kept up to date whereas a directory
maintains itself.

: Personally when I distribute a customized copy of NetBSD to a customer
: in return for fees I make *all* the source available to them, GPL-ed or
: not.

That's not necessarily the case for other vendors - and there are more than
you probably realize.