Subject: AVA 1502 support (i386)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1998 00:20:03
Hi, all. Today I tried to install a zip scsi accelerator board, with hopes
of running a hard drive off of it. The hard drive is a two gig Quantum
Fireball. (I don't much like the brand, but it's what I've got. Heh.)

So, after running out to Staples and getting the board, I got home and noted
that it's not supported.

A blast around the net turned up a Linux-oriented page that said that the
AVA 1502 chip could be driven by an AHA 152x driver. So, I enabled that
in my -current kernel config as follows, after setting the IRQ on the board:

aic0   at isa? port 0x340 irq 9		# Adaptec 152[02] SCSI

This got me to the point where my kernel could see aic0, scsibus0, and sd0.
After my usual blind groping with disklabel, I managed to get a label onto
the disk. However, I got the following when I tried to run newfs:

Dec 10 23:59:09 acheron /netbsd: sd0(aic0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x2a 00 00 69 05 7e 00 00 01 00
Dec 10 23:59:09 acheron /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
Dec 10 23:59:09 acheron /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Block Address Out of Range

I haven't returned the SCSI card yet, although I probably will tomorrow. I'd
really prefer a SCSI controller that I can boot from, and this one isn't it.
Ideas on what might have gone wrong are welcome, however. I'd be willing to
keep the board and absorb the cost, if having support for it is desired and
someone's willing to work with me to iron out the details, but I'll need to
know within the next twelve hours or so. Even if it ends up being supported,
I still need to find something I can boot from so I can have a "supported" OS
on my box before the MediaOne cable modem installer comes, next week, with-
out my having to nuke my existing world, which I'm not inclined to do, even
for a cable modem... <grin>

Later...

PS: A followup report will... follow.

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.ddns.org/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments