Subject: Re: PR 4094 (really about FreeBSD's approach to one aspect of the DDI/DKI)
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 17:39:45
woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> somewhere near the top of sys/i386/isa/fd.c:
>
> 	#define CDEV_MAJOR 9
> 	#define BDEV_MAJOR 2

of course, this ... doesn't work so well when you've got a driver
being shared by multiple architectures, each of which (for
compatiblity reasons) has a different device switch ordering...

you then devolve into, basically, another conf.c mess, but possibly
distributed across all files.

Furthermore, in a scheme like that, where can you go, in the kernel
source, to find out what the complete list of device major/minor
numbers is?

> I don't remember exactly how it all fits together under the hood though,
> and it would seem they are changing some of this again since the 3.0
> release, perhaps to add that missing bit of glue which would ensure
> there's only one place where device numbers are defined.

... even if you do this, unless you renumber all device tables (an
option which Charles may have effectively killed, by expanding the
device number macros before all issues were considered) and force all
ports to have the same one, you still end up needing multiple "one
place"s.

cgd