Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 17:29:43
"John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com> writes:
> And, of course,
> ld.so, which in a minimalist sense is the only GPLed code that *is*
> "necessary" to the proper running of the system.

(1) there are multiple ld.so implementations (one for ELF, one for
a.out.)  The ELF one doesn't live in the GNU tree, because it's not
GPL'.d

(2) looking at the copyright notices on the a.out ld.so, and
remembering what little I do about it, not very much of it is actually
GPL'd, and it could well be living in the wrong place in the tree.

and, of course, you don't need shared libraries to ship a system.

cgd