Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1998 12:46:04
On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 10:10:23AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> What has been stated is that we're probably going to make PostFix
> available as an alternative -- not that we will not continue to
> support sendmail.

Ah... I misunderstood. Okay. That's cool, then - choices are good to have.

> The real issue is that sendmail is now effectively GPLed.

For all intents and purposes, yeah.

I'm wondering how much that matters, though. I understand that the ability
to turn NetBSD into a proprietary system is a desired property for all the
core stuff, but we've got a lot of stuff that is already GPLed that's pretty
necessary to the proper functioning of the system.

I'm not sure where to find this myself, but is it the case that the NetBSD
base set is purely BSD- or X-licensed, and is this the only set that is by
necessity BSD-style-licensed? If this is true, what determines what is
base functionality, and hence what is to be included in the base set?

I'm simply curious as to how GPLed (etc.) code fits into NetBSD as a whole.

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.ddns.org/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments