Subject: Re: sendmail licensing again
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 22:46:01
Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> writes:
> It seems to me that the reason for not distributing 8.9.x with NetBSD was
> that the license had a required, open-ended term for redistribution of
> source code. This seems to no longer be the case.
>
> Here's the most recent copy of the sendmail license I can find,
> from ftp.sendmail.org:

If we do go with it, we should work rather hard to make sure that it
(and programs with licenses not unlike it, e.g. vixie cron, that are
nothing like the 'standard BSD license') is (are) segregated from the
code which has a 'standard-ish' license, just as the GPL'd bits are
segregated.

Really, the NetBSD project should be doing a better job of providing
NetBSD providers (a.k.a. some "NetBSD project customers") a canonical
list of licensing-related information for all files/packages in the
source tree, along the lines of what the Shark developers at DEC tried
to compile for the bits we shipped.

cgd