Subject: Re: aix7xxx problems with negotiating "Ultra" speeds....
To: Kenneth D. Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 16:53:16
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:45:46 -0700 (MST)
 "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com> wrote:

 > > 	(4) Some missing target drivers (show-stopper).
 >
 > Target drivers??  There's only one target-mode driver, and it's a
 > target-mode processor target driver.  What missing target drivers are you
 > talking about?

target driver == "disk", "cd-rom", etc.  SCSI Ethernet is a big deal
for some of our users, being the only way they can connect to a network.

Scanners are also currently supported.  I am NOT interested in supporting
FEWER devices than we do now.

 > > 	(5) Serious lack of documentation (show-stopper, because without
 > > 	    this, how do we make the plethora of HBA drivers we support
 > > 	    work?)
 >
 > And how much documentation do you have on the current NetBSD SCSI layer?

Basically none.  But past errors are no excuse :-)

 > Matt Jacob (isp) and Warner Losh (aha) have ported HBA drivers to CAM with
 > only other drivers for documentation and Justin's assistance.  So it is
 > possible to do.

Yes, I understand that.  But count the number of HBA drivers in NetBSD,
and count the number of people who will be doing the work.  A clear,
concise manual page with even just a basic description of the code path
would be of great help.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942