Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1998 11:11:08
>> newaliases and mailq are currently hard links to sendmail.  I'm
>> going to make them symlinks, [...]  The only link that will get
>> changed is /usr/sbin/sendmail, which will point to sendmail,
>> postfix, or the other sendmail replacement of your choice.
> You're making a continued assumption that the mailer of a user's
> choice has `sendmail', `mailq', and `newaliases' (if applicable)
> pointing at the same program.  This is *not* always the case.

I don't wish to join in this on either side, per se; I do, however,
want to point out that both styles (of which we can assume sendmail and
what was it, qmail I think, are paradigmmatic examples) can be
accommodated with a change-one-symlink scheme.

/usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/mailer/sendmail
/usr/bin/mailq -> /etc/mailer/mailq

/etc/mailer -> /etc/mailers/sendmail, or /etc/mailer/qmail

/etc/mailers/sendmail -> /some/path
/etc/mailers/qmail -> /some/other/path

/some/path/sendmail is the sendmail binary
/some/path/mailq is a link (hard or soft) to sendmail

/some/other/path/qmail is the qmail sendmail-alike
/some/other/path/mailq is the qmail mailq-alike

All that needs to be frobbed to switch MTAs is the /etc/mailer link.
Installing a new MTA involves just adding a link in /etc/mailers to
point to its install directory.

Exact paths may of course vary :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca