Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: Perry E. Metzger <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1998 13:55:15
On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: > You're making a continued assumption that the mailer of a user's choice has
: > `sendmail', `mailq', and `newaliases' (if applicable) pointing at the same
: > program.  This is *not* always the case.
: It is true for zmailer and postfix.

That's two in a flurry of available mailers - not to mention mailer
frontends that wrap themselves around the `real sendmail'.

: If you want to write a script to handle this via an /etc/mailer.conf
: file instead, go right ahead. Otherwise, I'm just doing the link.

Since NO_SENDMAIL is there, I'll draw up a proposal for a config based
system and actually write the code so everyone is happy.  <sigh>
(C, not script, for lower overhead of both reading the conf file and
exec()ing the real mailer.)

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.