Subject: Re: 100baseT ethernet card questions
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1998 10:45:59
On Mon, 07 Dec 1998 23:45:40 -0500
 Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

 >   I had to get the just saved yesterday tulip.c to get the latest PNIC
 > chips to work in our Linux server. They went from using the internal
 > 100Mb/s PHY to using an MII bus, and the chip has no way to autodetect
 > them. We were now going buy six packs of them instead of the Rhine II
 > chips from Surecom as the Linux driver for that is worse. Suited me
 > fine since I assumed that NetBSD would do a better job of providing
 > MII support. I haven't tried yet, but I will...

Unfortunately, the NetBSD Tulip driver doesn't use the generic MII
layer; it has its own.  Looks like converting it might be Annoying, too,
since the MII autonegotiation sequence is (needlessly) interwoven with
the transmit logic :-/

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942