Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1998 21:08:07
"Perry E. Metzger" writes:

> Dave Sainty writes:
> > > Do you understand what I am proposing?
> >
> > Maybe not... :)
> >
> > > I thought I was rather clear. There is only one symlink in question.
> >
> > Well somehow you need to redirect sendmail, mailq
> > and... uh... newaliases, at least.
>
> newaliases and mailq are currently hard links to sendmail. I'm going
> to make them symlinks, so that they don't have to be touched any
> more. The only link that will get changed is /usr/sbin/sendmail, which
> will point to sendmail, postfix, or the other sendmail replacement of
> your choice.

Ah, that's the point of confusion.  I use qmail, which may be alone in
that it doesn't implement mailq/newaliases as part of the sendmail
binary, they are separate binaries.  So I was rejecting schemes that
wouldn't work with qmail. :)

mailq functionality in qmail is implemented by "qmail-qread".  I also
just checked if a symlink called "mailq" would work and got:

ln -s /var/qmail/bin/sendmail mailq
./mailq
sendmail: fatal: please use qmail-qread instead

It doesn't matter too much if the chosen scheme doesn't immediately
support qmail, but it'd be nice. :)

Dave