Subject: Re: CDDA w/ CD-RW?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 22:51:36

> Has anyone tried generating an audio CD with a CD-RW recorder? Does this
> work? Are there any CDRWs one should prefer/avoid? (With SCSI, i guess :>)

I have *just now* made a CDRW in CD-DA format using a Ricoh MP6200S.
My iMac recognized it as an audio disc, but a relatively new Discman
player did not; this is not surprising, since the CDRW format is not
optically backward compatible.  (Not reflective enough.)  Presumably
had I burned a CD-R it would have worked perfectly, but I didn't want
to blow a disk just for a test, even if I knew how it would come out. ;-)

The MP6200S is currently attached to a Macintosh so I can use Adaptec Toast;
it worked fine when I had it attached to my NetBSD Pentium, but Toast is
soooo much more flexible than mkisofs/cdrecord...