Subject: Re: Versioning?
To: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 16:34:13
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF wrote:

> I notice we seem to be balking at calling the next release 1.4; we're
> calling it 1.3.3.  What comes out after that, 1.3.3.1?

Either 1.3.4, or 1.4.0. 1.3.3 is an upgrade of the 1.3 branch of the
source tree.

> Just curious.  I mean, what are the criteria for bumping the minor version
> up as opposed to bumping / adding a branch ID?
>
> We're currently at 1.3I [at least I am]; is this effectively 1.3.3 or
> is it 1.3.2++?

1.3I is more like 1.3.0++++++++. The 1.3 tree is a branch of the -current
source tree split off at the begining of the 1.3 release cycle. The
1.3Letter versions are different -current kernel versions. The letter gets
bumped when ever something changes enough in the kernel that it exposes a
new to-userland interface.

> ...and does anyone have any idea what we'd be looking at for a 2.x release
> as far as content goes?  I gather the changes would be pretty major for
> that.  Judging by what I've seen us do so far, I cannot even fathom what
> would bump us up or even if we could justify going to 2.x.  We've made
> some pretty major changes in the system since 1.0 came out.  We'd have
> to have the equivalent of an 8.0 earthquake through the entire system
>  in order to bump the major version, I think.

I believe that SMP will be the big new feature of 2.X.

Take care,

Bill