Subject: Re: Versioning?
To: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 16:17:38
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF wrote:

> I notice we seem to be balking at calling the next release 1.4; we're
> calling it 1.3.3.  What comes out after that,
	Either 1.3.4, if its a patch release, or 1.4, if a full release.

	for details on different releases.

> Just curious.  I mean, what are the criteria for bumping the minor version
> up as opposed to bumping / adding a branch ID?
	See above.

> We're currently at 1.3I [at least I am]; is this effectively 1.3.3 or
> is it 1.3.2++?
	1.3I is -current taken from 1.3
	1.3.n is a patch release based on 1.3

> ...and does anyone have any idea what we'd be looking at for a 2.x release
> as far as content goes?  I gather the changes would be pretty major for
> that.  Judging by what I've seen us do so far, I cannot even fathom what
> would bump us up or even if we could justify going to 2.x.  We've made
> some pretty major changes in the system since 1.0 came out.  We'd have
> to have the equivalent of an 8.0 earthquake through the entire system
> in order to bump the major version, I think.
	No comment, I'd be inclined to 1.5, 1.6 etc...

> Again, just curiosity; please don't flame me for asking "stupid" questions
> (a truly stupid question is one to which you already know the answer)...
	Hope the above helped.

	Will signpost release-map.html a little better on the site, plus
	if you have any further questions / suggestions, please let us

	 -=-  "There will not be a send-off, a funeral or mass"  -=-