Subject: Re: Versioning?
To: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 16:45:46
[ not that I'm a release-engineer, or anyone official, but here's what
  I think I know... correct as necessary ]

In message <199812072244.OAA19359@starwolf.com>, Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFF writes:
>I notice we seem to be balking at calling the next release 1.4; we're
>calling it 1.3.3.  What comes out after that, 1.3.3.1?

Point releases (1.3.3) to a full release (1.3) are for bug fixes only
(and maybe new driver additions).  The next full release will in fact
be 1.4, and is supposed to happen sometime next year.

>We're currently at 1.3I [at least I am]; is this effectively 1.3.3 or
>is it 1.3.2++?

That's -current, and is neither 1.3.3 nor 1.3.2++, but more like
pre-1.4

>...and does anyone have any idea what we'd be looking at for a 2.x release
>as far as content goes?  I gather the changes would be pretty major for
>that.  Judging by what I've seen us do so far, I cannot even fathom what
>would bump us up or even if we could justify going to 2.x.  We've made
>some pretty major changes in the system since 1.0 came out.  We'd have
>to have the equivalent of an 8.0 earthquake through the entire system
>in order to bump the major version, I think.

I heard somewhere that SMP would be cause for 2.0.