Subject: Re: turning sendmail into a symlink
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1998 22:43:10
"Perry E. Metzger" writes:

> Everything is *one* symlink. I don't see why this is a worse
> configuration mechanism than any other.
>
> > You could arrange it so that choosing the mailer was down to the
> > setting of a single symlink (to a directory), but I'm not sure that
> > was the suggestion, or that it's worth doing that instead of using
> > scripts.
>
> Do you understand what I am proposing?

Maybe not... :)

> I thought I was rather clear. There is only one symlink in question.

Well somehow you need to redirect sendmail, mailq
and... uh... newaliases, at least.  If you are proposing (random
directory/filenames chosen):

mkdir /usr/mailers/sendmail
mkdir /usr/mailers/qmail
ln -s /usr/mailers/sendmail/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail

Then you also need a symlink for the others, and then there are indeed
more than one symlink.  If you're proposing:

mkdir /usr/mailers/sendmail
mkdir /usr/mailers/qmail
ln -s /usr/mailers/localmail/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
ln -s /usr/mailers/sendmail /usr/mailers/localmail

Then yes, there's only one symlink to change (the last one).  If
that's what you were originally saying then I apologise for adding
that bit of noise. :)