Subject: Re: large IDE disk (10GB) and -current
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1998 07:40:33
On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 11:16:14PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >Editing the disklabel by hand worked for us on a 17gig disk we're using
> >on our news-xfer box..  What we did was
> >1) manually create the disklabel (I've had nothing but hard times making
> >sysinst create the kind of disklabel I want), and
>
> What kind of disklabel did you want, and what kind of hard times
> did you have?

It's been several months since I tried to build a new box using "sysinst
standard procedure", and this is all from memory, so I hope you'll
forgive the lack of detail..  Here's what I remember:

sysinst refused to give netbsd the first 32K on just about every disk I
tried it on (all SCSI, either BusLogic (I can check the exact model for
you, but I don't remember offhand) or adaptec 2940 controllers, if it
helps),
after creating the disklabel, it was only very rarely that I was able to
make the partition bootable by using installboot.

The disklabels I wanted are the kind where NetBSD owns the entire disk,
and doesn't even leave space for the partition map.  The reason I prefer
that kind of label is that that's the only way I've been consistently
able to make installboot be able to make the drive bootable into NetBSD.

--aidan