Subject: Not building sendmail
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1998 13:07:22
On 05 Dec 1998 12:32:45 -0500  "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> In order to make life easier on people who use alternate mailers, and
> in order to make integration of Postfix (a new mailer I'm considering
> integrating in addition to sendmail for 1.4), I am proposing that
> /usr/sbin/sendmail turn into a symlink to /usr/sbin/sendmail.real, and
> that mailq and newaliases, which are currently hard linked to
> sendmail, turn into symbolic links.
>
> This will allow people to do things like "make build" without blowing
> away their qmail or Postfix setup.

We already have a check for NO_SENDMAIL in usr.sbin/Makefile - is that
not enough?  Maybe there's a way to extend this so that if you have a
subdir target (say FOO) that is relative to BSDSRCDIR it doesn't get
built if NO_${FOO} or DONT_BUILD_${FOO} (or even NO_${SUBDIR}_${FOO}, eg
NO_USRSBIN_SENDMAIL) is set.  I suspect that the make magic to do this
will probably be ugly...

>From a release point of view, you can just choose to not install the
sendmail system package when we get that fine-grained control one day.
In the mean time, I guess people don't install releases as often as
people rebuild the world.

Simon.