Subject: Re: (KAME-snap 242) NetBSD: how to sync with current?
To: NetBSD Current-Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/1998 22:21:28
On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Space Case wrote:
> On Dec 4, 10:46pm, "John F. Woods" wrote:

> >> On some machines, it may take literally several days to build a
> >>snapshot.

> >How much progress (if any) has been made on cross-compilation?  Perhaps some
> >of the slower platforms could be "adopted" by people with modern, fast
> >machines, who could build (say) the monthly mac68k snapshot on a PentiumII/350
> >in about 3 hours...

> :)  Maybe VAX...  I've been doing a weekly snapshot for mac68k.  It took
> about a day to build on my Centris 610 (until it died recently; a Quadra
> 650 should be arriving any day to replace it).

Yeah, this would be great for some of the VAXen.  The VAXstation 2000 and
the MicroVAX II clock in at about 1200 Dhry/sec vs 20000 Dhry/sec on a
386DX/40.  Complete compiles of a GENERIC kernel can take on the order of
a few days on the slower supported platforms, and then compiling world
from ground up took on the order of a week or two.  I haven't tried this
lately with all the performance enhancements that have gone into the VAX
port over the past couple of months, so it's likely that things are quite
a bit faster now.  :-)

-brian.
---