Subject: Re: NEC 53c810 SCSI?
To: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@agames.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/1998 14:11:53
On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 10:19:03AM -0800, Sean J. Schluntz wrote:
> Is there currently anyone working on the driver for the NCR 53c810?  I've
> noticed that a number of people going back in the lists mention that the
> driver is having problems.  Unfortunately I don't have much c experience
> so I can't be of much help or I would tackle it.

The driver "has problems" because its architecture is better suited to a
sadistic torture mechanism or a Rube Goldberg Contest for programmers
entry than a SCSI adapter device driver.  Add to that a more or less
complete disregard for error handling, and...

...someone is just going to have to step up, sooner or later, and rewrite
it.  It's hard to see what else there is to do about it.

If it works for you, great. :-)  If you have a 53c875 card (or one of
the other 53x8xx variants with onboard command cache ram) you may
avoid some problems -- and possibly improve performance -- on the
i386 by disabling NCR_IOMAPPED, which keeps the driver from using
the command cache.  I'd be interested in hearing some results from
anyone who can test this both ways...

Thor