Subject: Re: 1.3.2H install floppy - bad disklabel(8)?
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/1998 20:06:50
}I'm trying to get NetBSD running on a laptop (WinBook XP5) that work gave me.
}Apparently the pcmcia controller is one that 1.3.2 can't talk to, so I punted
}on 1.3.2 and tried to go with -current.  I grabbed the required files from
}the "snap-19981117a" tree and went at it.

}sysint cored, blabbering about / being full.  Ok, fine, disklabel it manually.

I can't get sysinst to work on either of my systems, and when it seg faults
it dumps core and fills up /.

}disklabel(8) on the install floppy keeps complaining about "old BSD partition
}ID!", and refuses to write anything to the disk (see output after my .sig).

You have to disklabel the disk before you can see the disklabel.  And
it must have a disklabel before you can disklabel it interactively.
The babble is just something it will do every time it sees the old
partition ID.  If you don't want to disklabel it by hand, I still have
the old install script lying around, that I hacked at so it will do
initial disklabels.

}This is probably fixed by now, can someone build me a recent install floppy
}(boot.fs) and put it up for ftp somewhere?  (I don't have a system running
}-current, else I'd just do it myself.)

I just sup'd and built with today's source and sysinst is still failing.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu