Subject: NODEVMTIME kernel option gone, replaced with mount flag
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/1998 18:35:41
(This probably only affects i386 users, but since parts of this are MI,
I figured it belongs on current-users).

I just removed the NODEVMTIME kernel option, and replaced it with a
mount option (called, amazingly enough, nodevmtime).  When set, this
will prevent the timestamps on device special files from being updated.
This is useful primarily for people who have laptops, as it allows
you to still do things like type on pseudo-ttys without having to spin
up the disk every time update runs.

Combined with the new (but perhaps poorly named :-) ) battery/line
event support in the i386 apmd, it's not possible to do slightly more
intelligent power management depending if you're using battery or line
power.  For example, my /etc/apm/battery script is:

#!/bin/sh

mount -u -o async,noatime,nodevmtime /
mount -u -o async,noatime /usr
atactl wd0 setidle 5