Subject: Re: LKMs - different each time it's compiled into kernel ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/1998 11:17:15
Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz> writes:
> Would it be somwhow possible to upload "raw" code into kernel and
> let kernel relink it so it would work ?

That's a fairly deirable solution (at least in my eyes), but it's not
currently possible.

the kernel should know about the symbols that the LKM API allows LKMs
to use, and should be capable of linking 'raw' LKMs loaded into the
kernel.  this solves the 'how do i find my kernel/symbols' problem,
forces an LKM API to actually be created, etc.

I heard a wihle ago that FreeBSD does something like this, but i've
never looked into it.

cgd