Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 14:40:34
In message <199811231938.OAA00673@grosse.fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes:
>This is very abstract.   Can you say how you, specifically, would use
>it, or how somebody you specifically know would use it?   I really
>think you should be able to answer the question "what are you going to
>do with this" with a clear, specific answer before you can claim that
>it should be integrated.

Okay, here's an example.  I'm working on a project where we want a single
radius user database to do authentication for three "tiers" of term servers.
Each customer can be paying one of three rates.  Customers paying the highest
rate can log in through any term server, but customers paying a lower rate
can only log in through term servers in "cheap" regions.  With BSD
Authentication, instead of a whole lot of hacking on the RADIUS server,
I can write a wrapper which checks the user name and the remote address,
and rejects if the user isn't qualified, and otherwise just exec the
regular login_radius.

I've often wanted to sell accounts which logged in, say, only during
business hours.  It's easy with BSD Authentication.

-s