Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1998 11:43:37
[ oh damn, the sarcasm's escaped again... ]
David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
> Screen savers shouldn't be doing authentication checks. Remember
> lock(1)? It would ask you for a passphrase before locking. xlock
> should be exactly the same way.

and by all means, we should frame our solutions based around how we
think the world should work, not existing practice.

Like it or not, programs which do the 'wrong' thing exist.  People
will be upset and annoyed if they don't work right.  Providing a
Better Solution(TM) that doesn't address the needs of existing
software that people want to use is simply not worthwhile.

cgd