Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3H snapshot
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1998 23:22:26
    Ken> A "socket" is what you plug a PCMCIA card into.  If your controller
    Ken> doesn't have any sockets on it, then there is a problem.

    Ken> (Does your notebook really have _two_ i82365's?  Is this that same
    Ken> boat anchor you had at the last IETF? :-) )

  Yes, it is the same boat anchor. I should buy a new one... but I'm so
attached to this one. I read 1000 messages Wed/Thu/Fri of this week with
it... (many of which were a certain meta-flame-war)

  1.2 w/PCMCIA patches claimed that my PCMCIA hard disk was plugged into the
second controller, so I assume that I do have two 82365s. I actually have the
second one with 1.3.2 commented out to save the IRQ, and I assume that the
PCMCIA HD is just being put into compat mode by the bios.
  I got my notebook working again, and the disk is undamaged, since only the
MBR and part of my swap was thrashed, so no longer a big deal, but I'd still
like to know why the panic() has to be there.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.