Subject: Re: "BSD Authentication"
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1998 17:13:03
>>>>> "der" == der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
    der> I'd like to see *something* like it.  But before I'd commit much
    der> effort to rolling this particular way of doing it into NetBSD, I'd
    der> like to see it contrasted to PAM, about which I know just about
    der> nothing except the very general conceptual level.

  I'd say one major difference is that PAM depends heavily on dynamic
linking, while BSD authentication appears to work either internally, or
deal with seperate, external programs.
  Also, from seeing the external interface posted, I'd also suggestion that
BSD style is higher level, and we could easily accomodate PAM modules via
a BSD2PAM program, but the reverse would be quite difficult.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.