Subject: Re: Recent kernels panics (MMU Fault)
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1998 16:03:08
On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 04:22:50PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> > >For the last 3-5 days (since about the time of detachable devices ?),
> > >current kernels on my Quadra 610 have been unusable. They die,
> > >typically with 'Panic: MMU fault trap" during rc file processing.
> >
> > A co-worker has seem a similar thing; he believes it to be a optimization
> > bug.  Can you try compiling the kernel without optimization?
>
> Doing this produces a kernel that hangs early in boot, just after printing
> the copyright string, but before printing the NetBSD 1.3I line. Maybe something
> about locore doesn't like non-optimized code ?
>
> As I must admit that I use egcs, I did another try: I reinstalled the
> non-egcs gcc (src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc) and used that to completely rebuild
> the kernel (with the default -O2 again). This kernel fails just like
> the  egcs-compiled kernel, ie. panic: MMU fault trap.

fredb-> uname -v
NetBSD 1.3I (FB) #146: Fri Nov 20 14:17:04 CST 1998
fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/FB

Quadra 630, 36M, default optimizations, stock compiler. Compiled
against Nov 20 sup. My whole system is on one 1G Quantum drive.
There's a known, serious, problem that only affects systems with
multiple physical disks, that has been know to cause MMU faults.
As long as I don't run disklabel on the other disks, no problems.