Subject: Re: ext2fs troubles under -current
To: None <rh@vip.at>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/20/1998 20:10:30
On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 07:17:00PM +0100, Rene Hexel wrote:
>   I have been trying to track -current ever since 19981026, but I'm
> having some troubles with filesystem stability.  My /home, /linux, and
> /linux/usr partitions are ext2fs, and very regularly my system panics
> when updating one of these partitions:
>
> panic: lockmgr: pid 153, not exclusive lock holder 286 unlocking

  Just yesterday I saw what I think was a similar panic.  The kernel was
built from October 28 sources, without DDB.  However, gdb reports:

  panic: lockmgr: pid %d, not %s %d unlocking

and the process list is headed by:

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TT  STAT STARTED       TIME COMMAND
root       125 31.6  0.0    16    0 ??  Rs   Wed04PM    0:01.57 (update)

which was the process running at the time of the panic seen by Rene.  I'm
not sure that a write to an ext2fs partition was in progress, but I do
know that we had one ext2fs partition mounted read-write at the time
(usually they are mounted read-only, and the system is rock solid), and
that changes were made on it sometime within the half hour or so before
the panic (by the other person who was logged in at the time).