Subject: Re: Something like AIX's Journaled?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1998 11:02:51
>> "AIX has had a Journaled file system for years - just add a hot swap
>> SCSI disk or SSA disk, give it to the volume group containing the
>> database and expand the filesystem - all while the system is running."

> Having had some experience with AIX, this is in fact a very nice
> feature to have, and we don't have anything like it in NetBSD that I
> know of.  [...]  Very nice to have, and it would be an interesting
> project to add support for it to NetBSD.

We have most of the pieces, actually.  Here's all we would need to add
as far as I can see:

- A way to append new pieces to the end of a live ccd.

- My fsresize, once fixed per M. Bouyer's remarks about the rotational
   layout data.  (I should do this but haven't yet.)

- Something akin to Auspex's notion of filesystem "isolation", so that
   fsresize can update the superblock, coupled with a mount -o reload
   to make the kernel reread the superblock values, atomically with
   respect to other filesystem operations.  (Incidentally, mount.8 1.20
   doesn't list reload under the -o flag, despite mntopts.h listing it.
   If current is likewise, it probably should be fixed.)

I think that's all we need.  We might not even need filesystem
isolation for a quick-and-dirty implementation.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca