Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 Nov 17 1998 snapshot
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1998 23:06:09
}: The disk is already entirely partitioned for NT, but I want it wiped for
}: NetBSD... shouldn't it deal with that?

}The ramdisk ran out.  Happened to me too.  I nuked /etc/{s,}pwd.db in the
}ramdisk root the next boot, and it had enough room to do everything.

I nuked /etc/{s,}pwd.db, but that still doesn't give it enough room.  I
can't really find much else to get rid of, unfortunately.  Based on what
does the amount of space needed vary?

}Perhaps the non-tiny install disk should use a 2MB ramdisk, instead of a
}1.44MB one?

Sounds like it would help in my case, at least.

I have another problem with this machine.  When running NT, the ethernet
card works fine.  When I try to use it under NetBSD in this specific machine,
it doesn't work.  Put in another NetBSD machine running current about
two weeks old, it works fine.  Using sysinst to set up the network, it
never shows any errors, but takes forever to return and still doesn't work.

When I tried to install the previous snapshot, it wouldn't work either.
When I try to ping my gateway, ping would never output anything.
(Normally it'll at least say where it's trying to ping, and what size
packet.)  The card is a NetGear FA310tx, and is found at boot as:
de0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 11
de0:21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:40:05:a2:e5:32
then later
de0: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port

There are no obvious conflicts, so any help would be appreciated.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu