Subject: Re: egcs-1.1.1 (was: Re: kernel panic, tonight's sup)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1998 13:13:05
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >Fwiw, I'm running a kernel built with the new compiler
: >on pmax, and I've built big parts of The World, without
: >problems so far.

: Todd --  the  stanza
:
:      /* This defines which switch letters take arguments. */
:      #undef SWITCH_TAKES_ARG
:      #define SWITCH_TAKES_ARG(CHAR) \
:        (DEFAULT_SWITCH_TAKES_ARG(CHAR) \
:
: in dist/gcc/config/netbsd.h really is bogus.  There really are MD
: switch letters that take arguments, like -G on a mips.  And on a mips,
: gcc -R just tells me that -R is an unsupported option.

This is because -R isn't in the link_spec for mips, which I'll fix in a bit.
The stanza is not bogus; it's very correct, and I've made a custom one for
mips/netbsd.h.  (IOW, "-G 0" should now work.)  For the most part, there are
_not_ MD switches that need spaces in their arguments.