Subject: Re: mysql: hostname
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1998 16:25:05
"Tom T. Thai" writes:

> I'm not sure if I agree with the fact that `hostname` should return a
> FQDN.  Is there and RFC somewhere I can look at?  I don't mean to start
> any religious OS war, since I would rather focus on using NetBSD and
> MySQL.  I've cc: this to the netbsd's group, maybe they can shed some
> light on how NetBSD uses `hostname` or maybe I didn't config my system
> right.

The domainname is actually for YP/NIS.  Convention is to make the
YP/NIS domainname a valid DNS domain also, but this is "only"
convention.

The names are a bit confusing, and if you don't know that this is the
role of domainname, then it does seem like hostname shouldn't be
FQDN.

But it you know that the two are only linked by convention, then FQDN
seems like the correct choice.

It's pretty common for sites to do the former and just set it to the
unqualified host name though.