Subject: Re: NFS server ignoring writes?
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1998 09:13:04
>   I ran 'tcpdump -l -x -s 10000 -vv -i ep0 host latte and host aulait'.
>
>   I figured out why the frags weren't being printed -- I grep'd
> for 'nfs' in the output to eliminate timed, YP, and other
> traffic between the machines, and the frags don't have 'nfs'
> written for their lines (is that a bug or a feature?).

`That's just the way it is.'  The fragments after the first do not
contain the port numbers, so tcpdump doesn't know what port (and
therefore what protocol, since it's just layered on top of UDP) the
packet is destined to.

It might be reasonable to consider adding a hash table to cache this
information after the first fragment is parsed.  tcpdump does
something similar with TCP connection state, but this would consume
vastly more resources.

>   Here's the correct info, with the frag lines.  It looks like
> every-other frag never gets sent, to my inexperienced eyes.

Indeed.

Do you have another machine on the same subnet that you could run
tcpdump on?  The question at this point is whether the client is just
not sending the packets, or the server is not receiving them for some
reason.  If the former, there's really nothing we can do about it,
since it's not our client.