Subject: Re: NFS server ignoring writes?
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1998 00:43:49
On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 01:29:07AM -0500, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> You left out one critical bit of information: whether you gave any
> other arguments to tcpdump(8).

  I ran 'tcpdump -l -x -s 10000 -vv -i ep0 host latte and host aulait'.

  I figured out why the frags weren't being printed -- I grep'd
for 'nfs' in the output to eliminate timed, YP, and other
traffic between the machines, and the frags don't have 'nfs'
written for their lines (is that a bug or a feature?).

  Here's the correct info, with the frag lines.  It looks like
every-other frag never gets sent, to my inexperienced eyes.
>From the data that is captured, only around 1480 data bytes are
being sent in each frag.  And I looked at the whole dump this
time, so I'm not making any misassumptions like before.  :)

20:28:20.188513 aulait.ece.utexas.edu.998563913 > latte.ece.utexas.edu.nfs: 1472 write fh 4,0/1931 8192 bytes @ 516096 <unstable> (frag 145:1480@0+) (ttl 64)
20:28:20.188837 aulait.ece.utexas.edu > latte.ece.utexas.edu: (frag 145:1480@2960+) (ttl 64)
20:28:20.189053 aulait.ece.utexas.edu > latte.ece.utexas.edu: (frag 145:916@7400) (ttl 64)
20:28:22.067087 aulait.ece.utexas.edu.998563913 > latte.ece.utexas.edu.nfs: 1472 write fh 4,0/1931 8192 bytes @ 516096 <unstable> (frag 146:1480@0+) (ttl 64)
20:28:22.067404 aulait.ece.utexas.edu > latte.ece.utexas.edu: (frag 146:1480@2960+) (ttl 64)
20:28:22.067607 aulait.ece.utexas.edu > latte.ece.utexas.edu: (frag 146:916@7400) (ttl 64)

  Thanks.
  Brian
--
"So what's so good about that?" -- Dr. Grotowski, Math 102 prof.