Subject: Re: Packages want to install in /usr/X11R6?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1998 19:40:38
> Hmmm? What else should it do? USE_MOTIF means "build package with Motif
> dependancy".  It was put in a file that specifies settings to be used
> for all packages.  So all packages were built with Motif dependancies.

It would not strike me as off if USE_MOTIF added a set of libraries or
include paths or compilation rules for uid/uil files or what-have-you
(I assume it does at least some of this).
It does strike me as odd that "build package with Motif dependency"
resets my package base directory.  In your example, it's like
"LDADD += -lkvm" implicitly changing DESTDIR.

I'm not sure anything should be changed, necessarily.  As people have
pointed out, this is neither a documented nor "user-space" make variable.
On the other hand, perhaps it does point out that the non-user-definable
variables _should_ be documented.  After all, they are in the user's
namespace and presumably could conflict with something.

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com
       Try free *nix: http://www.netbsd.org/, http://www.freebsd.org/,