Subject: Re: mmap
To: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1998 14:54:11
>The configure script for the Cyrus imapd server ver 1.5.14 runs a test
>program to "Verify the OS supports the memory mapping semantics needed
>by map_private".

>The program fails in different ways on both 1.3.2 and -current. On 1.3.2 it
>results in "private map does not show change", while on -current it prints
>"shared map does not match within page" (see code below).

I patched the test program to not exit and not ulink the temp file.
on a pmax with UVM (no PMAP_NEW), I get

   shared map does not match within page
   private map does not match within page
   private map does not show change

so the errors that happen with the old-VM happen with UVM, too;
you just didnt get far enough to see them.

>I don't understand the intricacies of mmap well enough to see what is going
>on,  but the fact that there is a difference appears to indicate that we
>have a problem here.

Looks that way.  Maybe UVM needs an explicit READ or WRITE bit Mach VM
doesn't and which the test source isn't setting?

btw, please send this as a PR asking to include the sample code in a
regress-test suite ;)