Subject: IpFilter 3.2.9 under NetBSD 1.3.2 ??
To: current-users@netbsd.org, ipf <ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1998 00:37:48
Hi,
I would like to run IpFilter 3.2.9 under NetBSD 1.3.2.  NetBSD 1.3.2 comes
with IpFilter 3.2, but I have had some problems with that, and I'm hoping
3.2.9 will fix it.  I really don't want to upgrade this machine to
-current if at all possible (it's quite ancient, and doesn't do much other
than NAT).  Is there any easy way to upgrade the IpFilter from 3.2 to
3.2.9?

I assume the patches and stuff that come with ipfilter (in the NetBSD-1.2
directory) won't work properly on NetBSD-1.3.2?  (It says 1.2 and above,
but I don't really believe that a kernel patch would apply flawlessly to
1.2 AND 1.3).

I was going to just copy over the appropriate files from the ipf 3.2.9
distribution to the NetBSD sys/netinet directory and recompile, but I see
the NetBSD-current version of those files differ slightly from the ipf
3.2.9 distribution (mostly RCS and comments, but some actuall code that
I'm not sure of).

Would using the ipf 3.2.9 code on an unpatched NetBSD 1.3.2 kernel work,
or would using the -current ipf code on a 1.3.2 kernel work?  Or is it
going to take a bit more work than that to integrate it.

Anyway, if anyone has gotten ipf 3.2.9 to run under NetBSD 1.3.2, please
let me know what you did...

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca                               http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/