Subject: testers needed for i386 1.3.3 forward-compatibility with MBR ID 169
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1998 20:59:40
hi,

I have patches to 1.3.2 sys/arch/i386/i386/disksubr.c that allow it to
recognize both MBR partition IDs: both the "old" ID, 165 (old-style
386BSD, same as FreeBSD) and the new NetBSD-only ID, 169; but with
warnings and default id-choice appropraite for 1.3.3.

Same goes for the bootblock code.  Together, they would allow
installation of NetBSD-1.3.3, to coexsist with FreeBSD.

Since these are hard prerequsisites for booting, I am not going to
request a pullup unless i can get these comprehensively tested.  I can
supply versions of disksubr.c, (based on the changes I committed
yesterday) suitable for either a 1.3.2 kernel or -current; or
bootblock binaries. I can probably even compile a sample kernel if
given a CONFIG file.

If you're interested, and can test a kernel in the next day or two,
please contact me.

thanks
--Jonathan