Subject: Re: 3C905B
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@ack.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1998 23:20:44
On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 02:01:46PM -0500, Eric S. Hvozda wrote:
> I see we have support for the 509B in the tree, but it and the
> Ensoniq board won't do the "right thing".  I see a bridge that
> NetBSd doesn't seem to know about in the output form dmesg(8); could
> this be causing the devices to not be recongnized by the kernel?

[...]

That's 905B, not 509B. The 509B does exist, but it's an older ISA card.
The 905B is now supported, but it looks like you forgot to add it to
your configuration file. I should've announced it too, so I'd better do
that now:

As of a few days ago, -current supports the 3Com 90xB family of adapters.
These are only PCI cards for now. There is a new driver for them called
'ex'. This driver will also handle older 'plain' 90x cards, but using
their DMA capability, so performance should be better.

To use the driver, specify this in your kernel config file:

ex*	at pci? dev ? function ?
exphy*	at mii? phy ?			# for 905B
nsphy*	at mii? phy ?			# for 905

The driver has been tested on the i386 and alpha. Let me know if you have
problems with it.

- Frank