Subject: Re: PCI->PCMCIA?
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1998 00:53:01
>I was wondering - has PCMCIA support ever been tested on non-i386
systems?

	Well, I've tested it on my Alpha, and while it configures the
pcic and cards, they don't actually work - something evil involving
interrupts, I'm sure. But I don't actually know of any non-i386
systems that it's been tested and works on.

>Also, some grokking through my kernel config file says that pcmcia is
>attached to pcic*, which in turn is an ISA PCMCIA controller. Does this mean
>that no one has tried PCMCIA controllers that attach directly to the PCI
>bus, like the Cirrus Logic CL-PD6832, or am I reading the file/source
>wrong?

	That's correct. Most such controllers present an ISA interface
for compatibility, so they can be used. There are one or two cranky
controller configurations that don't have the ISA compatibility fired
up by default, and don't work with this setup. Writing the driver for
such a thing ought to just be a little bit of glue code, though.

	- Nathan