Subject: Re: NOTICE: Weekly tar_files changing
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1998 14:19:41
Greg A. Woods writes:
> Of course it's not really CVSup that's the problem, but rather modula-3.
> We don't even have modula-3 in the pkgsrc tree yet, let alone ported to
> non-i386 platforms, and I'm not very much of a compiler guy, except
> perhaps at finding bugs in them....
>
> I'd love to see it happen though.

I'd love to see world peace and free back massages.

We have this rule we recently informally instituted among the
developers which is "if something is suggested, we only hold up work
if the person who suggested it is willing to implement their own
suggestion". If you want CVSup, don't say "it would be nice if it
existed on all NetBSD platforms" because we aren't going to do that
work. If you're willing to do the work, go right ahead. Otherwise, we
have to get things done with the tools we have. The truth is that a
lot of our developers -- especially key ones -- are not using PC hardware.

Perry